Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blog Assignment 1

About Myself

Well, my name is Joseph Thornton, but I think everyone on the USA campus knows me as Sammy. That is a nickname my friends at my junior college, Lurleen B. Wallace in Andalusia, generated for me based on my hometown. I come from a very small town called Samson. It's about three hours from Mobile in the southeastern region. For some reason no one could remember my name so every time I walked into the student center people would say, "Hey, Samson Guy." I'm guessing that got too long for them to say and it evolved into just Sammy. I'm a huge outdoors man. I love to hunt, fish, camp, and just being outside in general. I actually heard about South from my friends and the more they talked about the school the more interested I became. Unfortunately, those friends decided not to pursue the road of a four year college, but by chance I did discover that two of my other friends were coming and we now live together in The Grove.

I come from a very small family. I'm a only child and most of my aunts, uncles, and cousins are scattered through out the South. My mom comes from a very complicated family and most of them are untraceable. I do know my blood grandfather, lives in Montgomery, that I love more than anything. He has done so much for me. My absolute passion is baseball. I love everything about it. I usually do not go a day without either throwing baseball or hitting or something of the sorts. I would say that would be my greatest talent other than my pretty excellent debating skills. I also love music. I'm a rocker by trade, but extremely open to any genre. I have loved helping others as far back as I can remember, which pretty much lead the thought of me becoming an educator. I get a great feeling when I help someone and that look of "I finally understand it" comes over their face. There truly isn't a greater feeling to me, no matter what it is I maybe teaching.

Dr. Pausch Video

I found that dividing my time into increments is an easier way to plan ahead. I have always believed that for every plan A, you have a plan D as well. Which he kind of discusses by saying your plans will change. I realized how true it was that Americans do not treat time as a precious commodity. I almost let time slip out from under me with the projects this week. Great time to watch this video!

2 comments:

  1. "For every plan A there is always a plan D." Love it, that describes my life! The video did have good point's, but it seemed like many of the things he said I already knew to some extent. It was nice having them pointed out however. Your last sentence's made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rocker! Do you play in a band.

    So Dr. Pausch's suggestions came in the nick of time! You will watch Randy Pausch's Last Lecture later this semester. It is a powerful and moving video!

    ReplyDelete